Switching from Quicken to gnucash.

Ron Morse rbmorse at comcast.net
Thu Aug 9 11:05:37 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 09:43 -0500, Jim Muchow wrote:

> I think you may be disappointed. In my case, my irritation with Intuit
> (the makers of Quicken) rose to the point that any conversion issues were
> less irritating.
>
> When I converted to Gnucash 1.8 a couple of years ago, I tried to use the
> QIF porting schemes. I was disappointed with the results. I have
> transactions going back to the mid-90s and even a couple from the early
> 70s). In the end, I locked myself in the house for a weekend and manually
> tranferred each transaction I needed/wanted. There's a "single entry"
> transaction type (I can't remember the name) for import situations like this.

I went a slightly less radical route...used Quicken's excellent reports
facilities to print (to.pdf) various representations of the data I
thought/hope might be useful in the future. Then, I then nuked Quicken
(with prejudice) from the hard drive.

Not quite as convenient as having it all under the control of a live
application, but a lot more convenient that continuing to maintain a
Windows installation just to run it.  It's been a coupe of years now and
whatever pain that accompanied the transition is long forgotten.

I really appreciate the work the devs did on the print scheme for 2.2.
Things not only look nicer, but it's much easier to use my remaining
stock of Quicken (tm) laser voucher blank checks.

Ron Morse