Switching from Quicken to gnucash.

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 13:46:01 EDT 2007

FWIW, I transferred my Quicken data into GC 2.0.x without any more hitches than
Quicken itself did. GC correctly created all my accounts, and only messed up on
some of the historical stock transactions (more on that later).

My accounts include multiple accounts for checking, savings, credit card,
investment, mutual fund, real assets, and a full complement of expense accounts
which I have developed over the last 18 years in Quicken. They _all_ imported
into GC fine, from one QIF source file (in other words, I did NOT have to
export an account at a time). [Once I got comfortable with GC, I re-arranged a
number of my accounts]

Now, for the big hitch: For many years, I had kept everything in one Quicken
file--until I had a glitch in 1999, and a Quicken rep recommended that I
archive my older transactions. I followed Quicken's directions for splitting
the file up, and all worked well after that. However, when I moved over from a
PC to a Mac, I found that my Quicken data file had hidden transactions that
predated the split.

I've never gotten a clear explanation of what was going on, but it seems that
Quicken, in order to retain capital gains information, kept transactions that
added or removed stock or mutual fund assets. This played havoc with every
account that had anything connected with stocks or mutual funds, and it took me
a while to clean up the mess.

If I had it to do again, I would probably try to understand more clearly the
accounting principles behind an Opening Balances transaction (my understanding
now is better than it ever was), and set up my Gnucash data file with a
specific start date in mind.

HTH,
David