New user - Inventory tracking functionality?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 16 10:30:58 EDT 2007

Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:

> At Wed, 15 Aug 2007 01:27:37 -0400 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>

>> Hey, if some developer came by wanting to implement an inventory system
>> he (or she) would have MY full support.....
>
> What exactly would be invloved?  Are there (low-level?) API docs on how
> one would do this -- i.e. what hooks are available for such a system?
> What language(s) could the code be in? (C/C++, scheme, ???).  Although
> *I* don't have any partitular need for an inventory system I might be
> interested in writing such a module.  The only gotcha is that I'm still
> running CentOS 4 (4.5 at present) and don't want to upgrade to CentOS 5
> at this time (lots of assorted reasons).  I'm assuming if I do things
> right and code things in a properly modular way this should not matter.

Fist you need to come up with a functional design, both in terms of
the UI and how you'd want it to interact with the rest of the system.
Then you need to decide which pieces, if any, you can reuse.
Then you can work on an implementation.

There are SOME developer docs at http://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/ The
docs aren't complete, but we're working on them as we modify files.  I
think that the required hooks would very much depend on your answers
above in terms of how you think it should behave and interact.

Programming should all be done in C.  You can use glade to design
any dialogs.

What version of Gtk is on CentOS4?  You shouldn't need to upgrade
in order to work on gnucash, but it'll all depend on your version
of gtk.  And you'll need to pull down goffice.  But if GTK is too
old (I think we require 2.6?  Maybe 2.8?) then you wont be able to
build the current gnucash.

First, I'd see if you can get the current trunk building on your
system.