vanishing .xac and .log files

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Aug 16 17:05:59 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:54:55PM -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> hendrik at topoi.pooq.com writes:
> > I just needed to track down some misreconcilation problems, and
> > discovered that my .xac and .log files from before July 22 have
> > disappeared?
> >
> > Now I suppose something weird might have happened; I don't think
> > I deleteld them myself.
> >
> > Could gnucash have been deleting them itself?  If so, I don't suppose
> > it saved them somewhere in compressed form so I can get them back,
> > but HOW THE HELL DO I STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN?  AND WHY WASN"T
> > I WARNED?
>
> Check {Edit > Preferences > General > Files > Retain log files [ N ] days}.
>
> Given today is ~25 days since 7/22, does the value of that preference agree?

It seems to be 30 days.  Is this something new that came in recently?
Perhaps when I upgraded to etch/stable?  I just set it to 10000 days,
but that might bite me in about 25 years.  Is there a way to turn it off
so it never deletes log files?  Soms systems use zero to mean infinity, but
I didn't set it to zero in case zero might actually mean zero.

I had been planning to use binary search on the log files so as to identify
the point at which the misreconciliation occured, but I suppose I can
forget about that now..

-- hendrik