gnome default paper size

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 16 23:18:35 EDT 2007

Both gnomeprint (the old way) and gtkprint (the new way, gtk+ >= 2.10
and gtkhtml >=3.14, I think) hardcode a default paper size of a4.
Those of us stuck in the non metricated hinterlands (North America,
mostly US and Canada) would usually prefer the default paper size to
be Letter.

If you have a full gnome setup and know where that default can be
defeated, hurray. But I don't really want to carry all of gnome
around to use gnucash.

In the gnomeprint days, the printing dialog contained a Paper tab
that allowed the user to select a paper size before printing. It was
annoying to have to remember to change the paper size everytime, but
at least it could be done.

The gtkprint dialog has no access to paper size settings. (one
solution that gnumeric has used is to add a Page Setup choice to the
File menu and storing the paper size in gnumeric's preferences).
There is another way to get the default changed. gtkprint uses
setlocale() to check the value of the LC_PAPER environmental
variable, if it exists. If the system doesn't support that variable,
gtkprint checks the value of  LC_MESSAGES. As long as the first
variable that exists in that pair returns something that starts with
en_US, en_CA, es_PR, or one other Spanish locale that escapes my
memory, then gtkprint will default to Letter sized paper.

So "export LC_MESSAGES = en_US.UTF-8" or similar in your profile will
get gtkprint to use Letter instead of a4 paper.

I have not found a way to get gnomeprint to default to Letter paper.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net