gnome default paper size

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Aug 17 22:58:53 EDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 03:01:18 pm David Reiser wrote:
> I tried that fix, too, but my system (mac os x) isn't paying attention.
>
> The gtk+ lead developer filed a bug whose solution will probably be
> better: that gtk+ ought to honor the contents of .lpoptions. Even
> though nothing has happened on the bug yet, at least someone with
> some power is interested in having gtk's behavior change.
>
> Dave
>
> On 17 Aug 2007, at 12:16:11 AM, Ron Morse wrote:
> > I have a file named /etc/papersize. It is a simple text file that
> > contains only the word
> >
> > letter
> >
> > I'm on Kubuntu (KDE) though, so I don't know if this will help you.
> >
> > Ron Morse
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 23:18 -0400, David Reiser wrote:
> >> Both gnomeprint (the old way) and gtkprint (the new way, gtk+ >= 2.10
> >> and gtkhtml >=3.14, I think) hardcode a default paper size of a4.
> >> Those of us stuck in the non metricated hinterlands (North America,
> >> mostly US and Canada) would usually prefer the default paper size to
> >> be Letter.
> >>
> >> If you have a full gnome setup and know where that default can be
> >> defeated, hurray. But I don't really want to carry all of gnome
> >> around to use gnucash.
> >>
> >> In the gnomeprint days, the printing dialog contained a Paper tab
> >> that allowed the user to select a paper size before printing. It was
> >> annoying to have to remember to change the paper size everytime, but
> >> at least it could be done.
> >>
> >> The gtkprint dialog has no access to paper size settings. (one
> >> solution that gnumeric has used is to add a Page Setup choice to the
> >> File menu and storing the paper size in gnumeric's preferences).
> >> There is another way to get the default changed. gtkprint uses
> >> setlocale() to check the value of the LC_PAPER environmental
> >> variable, if it exists. If the system doesn't support that variable,
> >> gtkprint checks the value of  LC_MESSAGES. As long as the first
> >> variable that exists in that pair returns something that starts with
> >> en_US, en_CA, es_PR, or one other Spanish locale that escapes my
> >> memory, then gtkprint will default to Letter sized paper.
> >>
> >> So "export LC_MESSAGES = en_US.UTF-8" or similar in your profile will
> >> get gtkprint to use Letter instead of a4 paper.
> >>
> >> I have not found a way to get gnomeprint to default to Letter paper.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >> --
> >> David Reiser
> >> dbreiser at earthlink.net

> --
> David Reiser
> dbreiser at earthlink.net

This is the other side of the coin to my thread a while back.

I am running a Mandriva spring System with both KDE and Gnome installed,
although KDE is my usual desktop.  I am in an A4 country as well.

I don't have a file /etc/papersize.  I have the following:

/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkpapersize.h
/usr/share/groff/1.19.1/tmac/papersize.tmac

apart from two files deriving from Gramps.

In my experience, many programs have U.S. Letter size "built in".  I rarely
run reports, and the only problem I had in Gnucash was with printing checks
in the 2.0+ series, which seems to take measurements from the top of the
check form (At least one person asked for this, and it does make sense.)

Until now, there doesn't seem to have been a locale for Australia, although
New Zealand has had one for quite a while.  There is now an Australian locale
in Mandriva, however.  I tried copying its i18n across to PCLinuxOS without
success.  I could change the settings in KDE's Control Panel, but I can't
help GNOME users.  KDE seems to have become another "Windows", running the
whole OS instead of simply the desktop environment.  Whether that is a good
or a bad thing is not relevant here. The two can conflict, e.g. setting time
zone globally and again in KDE.

Doug.
--
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
   - Albert Einstein