drill-down reports?

J.D. Laub gnucash at laubster.org
Mon Aug 20 23:51:38 EDT 2007

I've used gnucash for about a decade now, and regularly pump a
fair amount of data through it.  That said, I am not your hardcore
accountant type, and I can't think of the last time I ran a report.
(I use it to balance my checkbook, credit card, 401k acct, etc.)
Well, last week a co-worker asked what financial software I use, and
after I delightfully saw the recent windoze port (which would be his
only option as he's a slave to redmond), proudly gave him a gnucash
tour.  He was impressed.

One thing that came up was when I ran Reports | Income & Expense
| Expense Piechart, we got a nice picture, but couldn't "drill down"
(double-click) on the high-level items to see the details.  For
instance, I wanted to drill down on the utilities slice to see how
much was spent on electric, phone, etc.  Yes, I do see the "Show
Accounts until level" option, but for interactive browsing, I'd like
to see just the high levels first, then drill into details on demand
(vs. cranking up that option & getting all the detail up front).

I would've sworn that was a feature, but I've a hunch my mind might
be pulling up some very dusty Quicken memories & confusing its features
with gnucash.  Is that the case, or did gnucash at one time support
drill-down reports?  Or does it now & I'm just overlooking where it
is?

Almost forgot - I'm running 2.0.1 on ubuntu 6.0.6.  And just in case
you don't hear it enough, thanks for a truly excellent software
package. :-) Cheers...
--
J.D. Laub (Laubster) |"Your leg's too long / Your skull's too strong /
gnucash at laubster.org| Suppose your nose is wrong." - Renaldo & the Loaf