Getting started - Online banking problems (Vanguard / Citadel FCU)

Shawn Poulson spoulson at explodingcoder.com
Wed Aug 22 20:27:54 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I once evaluated GnuCash maybe 5 years ago and I thought it seemed pretty
nice, but I was too stuck on MS Money to want to change.  I switched from
Money to Quicken when I was finding it was getting quirky and seemingly
changing things in my register without my approval.  Quicken is now becoming
nearly as quirky and the user interface urks me.  Now that I've seen it
again, GnuCash has come a Looong way since then.  Bravo!

I have GnuCash 2.2.0 setup nicely on my WinXP SP2 laptop, so now I want to
get the online banking to work but I've come across two problems:

First, I was able to get my investment account with Vanguard to download.
However, all the transactions came in with deposit and withdrawal fields
swapped, so that my account balance was negative.  I manually swapped them
and it looks ok now.  Why is this?

Secondly, I can't seem to get my Citadel FCU account to setup.  I got the
OFX/FID/URL, but can't find any broker id.  When I click Get Accounts, I get
prompted the usual SSL Cert acceptance and account password, then it
finishes without gathering any accounts.  I get the below log:

Resolving hostname "pcu.citadelfcu.org" .

IP address is 12.20.52.194

Creating HTTPS connection

Connecting.

Sending request.

Waiting for response.

Finished. You may close this window.

Does this just mean they don't support Accounts List Download feature?  I
tried setting up an account manually, but when I try "Actions/Online/Get
Balances" I am prompted for my password then I get a popup "Error executing
backend's queue.".  I can click Continue or Abort but either way it seems to
abort.  My accounts were originally with Atlantic FCU before getting bought
out by Citadel.  I tried that bank number, too, but no difference.

One more thing, since it's mentioned in the wiki, I'm pretty sure ING Direct
cannot be online banked without manually downloading the Quicken file from
their web site.  I work for them in IT and as long as I've used any banking
program, I've had to do it manually.  With OFX, there's seemingly no ability
to enforce the passmark security factor, so I don't believe they'd want to
implement OFX.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Shawn Poulson

spoulson at explodingcoder.com