how to search and replace transfer account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 24 08:58:23 EDT 2007

keith <keith at bellairs.org> writes:

> This problem is one of the reasons to get to a SQL backend. Many of us
> would find it easier to write an UPDATE statement than a script.

Even if we had a SQL backend, such an "update" statement wouldn't
be supported because it wouldn't update any balances.  So most likely
your balances would all be "off" after running such an update.

> Don't know about  2.2, but in 2.0 it is possible to change the account
> tying the transaction to the current register, if you change your view
> to Transaction Journal. So if you open the Imbalance account and
> change the View to Transaction Journal it is possible to see all of
> the broken entries and fix them. As you change the Imbalance leg to
> some other account, the transaction will disappear from the Imbalance
> register. (Hope that's not a bug.) Not that it is fun or a solution
> when there are thousands of transactions.

Really?  Hmm..  I thought it disallowed that.  Interesting.  Maybe
I'm wrong?