Help with Stock Purchase transaction

Bill Farmilo billf at semiconductor.com
Fri Aug 24 15:04:26 EDT 2007

I'm having trouble with entering a stock purchase. I can follow the concepts guide, and everything looks good from the Stock account perspective, but the cash account used to buy the shares does not debit as I would expect. Example Below:

Here is the view of the split lines in the Stock Account (call it SII)

Date	Num	Description					Shares		Tot Buy	Tot Sell	Balance

	Buy		Assets:...:Brokerage Account:SII	1000	0.25	250.00
			Assets:...:Checking Account						250.00

But in the Checking Account, it doesn't debit the $250.00. It looks like this:

Date	Num	Description					Tot Decrease	Tot Increase	Balance

	Buy		Assets:...:Brokerage Account:SII
			Assets:...:Checking Account

I would have expected my Checking Account balance to decrease by $250.00, but instead the balance is unchanged despite this transaction.

Please help - is this a bug or just my inability to understand a key concept ?

Bill