GnuCash 2.2.1 Released

Graeme Nichols gnichols5 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 23:14:09 EDT 2007

Hello Derek,

On 25/08/2007, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "Graeme Nichols" <gnichols5 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The only thing that I consider could be improved is the behaviour of the
> > 'Transfer' dialogue. It would be nice if the account I am in when I
> select
> > 'Transfer' is the account automatically selected as the 'From' account.
> This
> > used to be the default behaviour several releases ago.
>
> If you're in a register, why use the transfer dialog at all?  Why not
> just enter the transaction directly?

Good question, and I have no logical answer I'm afraid except perhaps a
hangover from old.

When did this work before?

Quite a long while ago. I don't remember the release number but I first
noticed that it had changed when I upgraded to one of the early
2.xreleases. The other thing that makes it hard to pinpoint the exact
time of
the change in behaviour is that I nearly always wait for several releases
before I upgrade due to inherent laziness I'm afraid :-)  Which makes it no
big deal, of course. I have never struck any show-stoppers with gnucash and
it is way better than Quicken when it comes to keeping track of the changing
value of an asset, like real estate for example, to keep track of
expenditures for capital gains tax purposes at sale. The figure on the
bottom line of the register is the gain or loss. Probably not 'proper'
accounting but it works for me.

Now, just to make me look a bit silly, I have just now been fiddling with
gnucash and the transfer dialogue before I sent this post and changing from
account to account and trying the transfer dialogue in each account. It
selected the current account in each case for both sides. It is working
perfectly now. Yesterday, or the day before, it was selecting the last
account I transferred to as the 'From' account. So, please ignore my comment
and accept my sincere thanks.

BTW, my OS is FC6.

> Again, many thanks to the team.
> >
> > Regards,