Compiling gnucash-2.2.1 on FC7 missing slib

Graeme Nichols gnichols5 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 01:58:17 EDT 2007

Hello Derek,

On 30/08/2007, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> > Quite possibly, but I don't think so.
>
> I'm glad you don't think so, but you're wrong.  Your system is
> quite screwed up.  I've got Fedora 7, I've only got RPMs installed,
> and I have no problem building GnuCash.

Well, I'm not about to disagree with you. Although it *appears* to be OK
there sure is something not quite right. I started with redhat v6 and every
upgrade I have done was/is by choosing the "Upgrade" option and this time I
did the same to upgrade to FC7 from FC6.  There were no problems and the
upgrade finished properly but, yes, something appears to be wrong. Like you,
I religiously try to be an rpm system only but there are occasions when I
have had to build from source.

The slib problem is quite obviously an error in the FC7 distribution unless
it is not a part of the basic distribution DVD as it is definitely not on
the distribution DVD I have got (from Linux Magazine).

>     That's not the correct version of slib.  And there is most certainly
> >     an slib available in Fedora 7.
> >
> > Yes, but not on the FC7 distribution DVD. And neither is usb-scheme. yum
>
> > update slib installed slib-3a4-1.fc7, or SAID it installed it. The build
> still
> > bombed out on slib again! See the following:
> > checking for SLIB support... configure: error:
>
> You neither want nor need usb-scheme (or umb-scheme, for that matter)
> on F7.  On my system:
>
> [warlord at pgpdev linux]$ rpm -qa | grep -i scheme
> [warlord at pgpdev linux]$
>
> > Transaction Check Error:
> >   file /usr/share/info/slib.info.gz from install of slib-3a4-1.fc7conflicts
> > with file from package umb-scheme-3.2-38
>
> Right, try removing umb-scheme and try again.   In fact, I can't even
> FIND umb-scheme for Fedora 7!  Where did you find it?

No idea. I can not remember installing it for anything in particular except
possibly gramps. And you are right! I could not update it either but it was
listed in my rpm database so it was installed from an rpm package.

 [root at barney graeme]# rpm -e umb-scheme
[root at barney graeme]# yum update slib
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package slib.noarch 0:3a4-1.fc7 set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 slib                    noarch     3a4-1.fc7        fedora            690 k

Transaction Summary

Install      0 Package(s)
Update       1 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 690 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Updating  : slib                         ######################### [1/2]
  Cleanup   : slib                         ######################### [2/2]

Updated: slib.noarch 0:3a4-1.fc7
Complete!
[root at barney graeme]#

gnucash 2.2.0 loads and runs just fine now but.... 2.2.1 still fails during
build.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/gnucash-2.2.1/accounts'
Making all in checks
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/gnucash-2.2.1/checks'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/gnucash-2.2.1/checks'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/gnucash-2.2.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

RPM build errors:
[root at barney download]#

I do apologise for being a PITA and I really appreciate your patience but
unfortunately it is when problems occur that
lessons are really learnt. Do you have any ideas here?

<snip>

> AND REMEMBER TO CC ALL YOUR REPLIES...

My apologies.

--