Quicken to GnuCash (Windows) (Charles Day)

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 3 18:33:13 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:41:02PM +0000, Maf. King wrote:
> On Monday 03 Dec 2007, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Don't forget to remove the .xac (backup) and .log files as well.
> >
> > -derek
>
> Unless you want to keep the old files and log files, just in case ;-)
> I guess you either need to munge the initial (encrypted) filename before
> overwriting it, or crypt all the files GC has created.
>
> <ponders>
> Would it be wise to remove /tmp/gnucash.trace at the end of a session, too?
> what about the stuff in ~/.gnucash - is that sensitive?
> </ponders>

I think that just highlights what I think the general problem
is. Gnucash isn't written to secure the data that might be used by
gnucash. It's written to handle that data. It's up to the user to
secure that data. Personally, I much prefer securing my own data with
methods I understand and to my own gut-check-level. Much better than
(one of) the alternatives -- having the app secure it in some manner I
don't understand and possibly can't recover it from.

.02