Quicken to GnuCash (Windows) (Charles Day)

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 3 22:44:31 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:12:03PM +1100, Charles Day wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 10:33 AM, Andrew Sackville-West <ajswest at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I think that just highlights what I think the general problem
> > is. Gnucash isn't written to secure the data that might be used by
> > gnucash. It's written to handle that data. It's up to the user to
> > secure that data. Personally, I much prefer securing my own data with
> > methods I understand and to my own gut-check-level. Much better than
> > (one of) the alternatives -- having the app secure it in some manner I
> > don't understand and possibly can't recover it from.
> >

> Andrew, why would the application's security methods be a mystery? It's open
> source. Gnucash would not have to do the heavy lifting anyway; it would
> probably just have hooks into a well understood and scrutinized open source
> library. Using it could be optional. I can understand the argument not to
> take this up based on priorities and limited resources, but not on
> philosophical grounds.

hmmm... I guess I don't disagree. My point, not well founded, is that
security that I set up, I will understand (at least somewhat) and be
able to recover data from. Security that some app sets up for me I
will not necessarily understand. In the event I needed to recover data
from that secured state would require that I jump through all the
hoops required to 1) understand what was done and 2) get it to work in
reverse. Both these are inherently a part of setting up your *own*
security and don't require the extra legwork to make a recovery. I
guess *I* prefer the legwork up front, in preparation for failure as
opposed to doingthe legwork at the end, at the time of the recovery.

Regardless of my twisted thinking though, I think you are right :)