"no data" Problem with income and expsnse charts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 8 20:18:03 EST 2007

Hi,

Quoting Chris Burroughs <chris.burroughs at gmail.com>:

> GnuCash 2.0.2 on Ubuntu 7.04. Using an account originally created on
> the MS Windows port.
>
> I am unable to make any "income &expense" reports.  I instead receive
> a message about their being "no data" and "The selected accounts
> contain no data/transactions (or only zeroes) for the selected time
> period".  I tried changing various chart options to no avail.
> Specifically I confirmed that the time period, currency, and accounts
> were correct.

I bet you have a visible, top-level Root account, right?  Expand that account
in the tree and then for each subaccount, "edit" that account and reparent
it to the top-level.  Then remove the "root" account once it's empty.
Then try re-running the report.

> The following do not work as expected:
> Expense bar/pie chart
> Income bar/pie chart
>
> However, these do:
> Cash Flow
> Equity Statement
> Income/Expenses v Day of Week
> Income/Expense Chart
>
> The offending charts work fine if I create a new test file and create
> some arbitrary transactions.

Right, because some reports dont understand the "Root" account.

Moreover, 2.2.1 is the current release.