Quicken to GnuCash (Windows) (Charles Day)

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 10 11:39:21 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 01:51:14PM -0800, Charles Day wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 7:44 PM, Andrew Sackville-West <ajswest at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:12:03PM +1100, Charles Day wrote:

> > > Andrew, why would the application's security methods be a mystery? It's
> > open
> > > source.

> > hmmm... I guess I don't disagree. My point, not well founded, is that
> > security that I set up, I will understand
> > Regardless of my twisted thinking though, I think you are right :)

> Great, so we'll see an encryption feature included in tonight's build?  ;)

heh. ummm... no. ;) So what I meant was that you were right about it
being open source and my concerns about the encryption being
inaccessible if the app somehow blew up were unfounded.

> But seriously, if the flat file format is kept, then something like GPGME
> might be used. If GnuCash suddenly blew a fuse, recovery could be done on
> the command line using GPG itself.
>
> What is the future of GnuCash's back end? It may not be worth thinking about
> protecting the current flat file via an API if it will soon be replaced by a
> database.

THere is a database backend in the works, you can check it out in the
gda-dev branch. THat is the limit of my knowledge -- it exists.