Opening balance correction.

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 15 10:49:17 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:55:29PM -0600, jim wrote:
> 	Hello, I'm trying to reconcile my new gnucash register.  I've been
> using Quickbooks for several years so my learning curve is kind of
> steep.  My problem is that the Quickbooks register reconciles correctly.
> The gnucash register does not, because I made a mistake on entering the
> opening balance.  All debits and all credits and all balances in both
> registers are identical and have been checked many many times. The
> gnucash reconciliation does not drop to a zero amount only because the
> opening balance is incorrect. How can I change the opening balance to be
> correct without re-entering all the data?

HI Jim, I saw your thread in the irc logs -- if you are dealing iwht a
situation where you truly have just the wrong opening balance, then
just change that opening balance. It is a transaction like any
other. But make *sure* that's what it is. And (I've done it to) be
sure to put a note in the transaction so you know what you did...

> Also, is there a way to
> get a report printed out of the current reconciliation when it is
> completed?

no, not that I'm aware of. THat report from QB, IIRC was a listing of
what you cleared and what remained uncleared. The first you probably
can't get, but the second you can get from a register report.

Oh, and welcome to GnuCash!