upgrade from 1.4 to 2.2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 16 20:53:55 EST 2007

Quoting Harry Hochheiser <hshoch at gmail.com>:

> I'm trying to go from a _very_ old version of gnucash (1.4) to 2.2,
> and am desperately seeking help in moving my data. Is there any way
> that I can get transfer my data from 1.4 to 2.2? Barring that, is
> there any way I can get the 1.4 output in human-readable form?

You'll need to use an intermediary version like 1.8 in order to
read the 1.4 data.  That nearly decade old data format was
obsoleted years ago and I believe it was ripped out (although I'm
not 100% sure about that).  Still, your BEST bet would be to backup
the data file, then open it in 1.8, then "Save As" to save it out
as XML, and then you should be able to load it into 2.2.

Good luck, and in the future I recommend you update more frequently
than once a decade.