upgrade from 1.4 to 2.2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 16 21:53:39 EST 2007

Hi,

Quoting Harry Hochheiser <hshoch at gmail.com>:

> Derek.
>
> On Dec 16, 2007 9:09 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please remember to CC the list using your mailer's Reply-To-List
>> or Reply-All features...
>>
> oops. sorry. thanks.

Except you didn't ;)

>> Quoting Harry Hochheiser <hshoch at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > thanks, Derek. I don't suppose there's any way to get a version of 1.8
>> > that runs on windows? I hate to tell you how old my linux distribution
>> > is :-)
>>
>> Unfortunately no, there's no version of 1.8 that runs on Windows.
>> Indeed, 2.2 is the first version to run on Windows!
>> If that's where you are and you cannot find an intermediary to
>> run 1.8 then I'm afraid you're SOL.  I mean, 1.6.0 was released
>> 7 years ago, and 1.8.0 was released 5 years ago.
>>
>> I'm afraid to think about how many security holes exist in your
>> system if you're seriously running a 7+ year old system!
>>

> doesn't get used but once a fortnight. almost always powered off as a
> big paperweight.

Ahh, well I suppose that's one way to reduce the risk.

> thanks for the help. I guess I'll just transition the hard/manual way.
> silly me for assuming that the software would have had something
> obvious like a way to do a text dump. :-(

Well, there is a "text dump."  You could run a transaction report across
all accounts, and that will create something you could print (or save)
that contains all your transactions.  But it's not something you could
import into a modern gnucash.   Also, I suspect that gnucash2qif doesn't
support the 1.4 binary format, either.

Another option:  Use VMware player, load an early version of Fedora
(maybe like Fedora 3-5) that has 1.8, and then perform the load/save.
Then you can load it into 2.2.  This would probably be much faster
than trying to re-enter all your data.

Good luck,