gnucash and user management system

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Dec 20 08:50:23 EST 2007

>Personally I think it would be really cool to have such a system, though
>that would imply the ability for many users to modify the same file at the
>same time. This would involve much more changes than I can do, so I'll just
>be quiet again ;)
>
>Nathan

Concurrent processing considerations. That would be requiring data locks
and/or a full blown data base manager. Far outside the scope of a
project like this (or at least the dbm would be, data locks that
restricted access to "one at a time" but allowed multiple users to
access the data at different times not as difficult). I'll have to be
blunt here. "Users" are just not going to understand the difficulties
involved in the implementation of a multiple (concurrent) user database.

Normally the dbm would NOT be part of (not restricted to the use of)
just one application. I am not "up" on what projects might be around in
the "free software" world  for dbm development (and then an application
would be rewritten to USE that dbm  controlling access to  the
application's  data which would be kept  in a database under control of
that dbm).

Michael