What's your favorite year end method?

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun Dec 23 13:29:05 EST 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> No insult intended, but Paul Graham once observed that Perl programs
>> look like a cartoon character swearing. One of the problems with the
>> current Scheme implementation is that it's, well, Scheme, and
>> therefore hard to read for people who aren't fluent in Lisp, the
>> majority. I think Perl, powerful though it may be, is very hard to
>> read. Tcl, too, and I've written a hell of a lot of Tcl code. This is
>> the reason for my enthusiasm for Python -- it's easy to write concise,
>> readable programs. Graham also observed that we spend a lot more time
>> reading code than writing it. So I fear that writing reports in Perl
>> smacks a bit of going from the frying pan into the fire.
>
> Keep in mind that the reason for moving away from scheme isn't how the
> language looks, but the (thin) field of developers who can actually
> use the language.  I suspect there are a LOT of PERL devs out there..
> Certainly many more than there are Scheme devs.  Not that I'm arguing
> for PERL as the new reporting language, but let's keep focused on the
> goal, which requires us to explicitly state the goals.
>
>> I have no intention of starting a language flame war here, and I've
>> been doing this for long enough (43 years professionally) to know this
>> is a religious issue. I'd just hate to see this project repeat a past
>> mistake. My $.02.
>
> And which "past mistake" would that be?  I'm not trying to start
> a religious war, either, I'm just trying to understand where you're
> coming from and what you mean.
>
> Thanks,

I think Donald is just expressing a preference for Python as the plug-in
language.  Python would be my preference as well as it's what I use most.

I agree only one plug-in language should be used.

I also think the plug-in language should be used for the druids as well,
not just for reporting.

I'm a new user of Gnucash.  Great program, Thanks!

Ron