What's your favorite year end method?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 25 09:44:08 EST 2007

Quoting Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com>:

> If I may inject my 2 cents here, it seems to me that the biggest current
> problem with GnuCash reports is the godawful slowness. If picking one
> language over another would have a significant impact on speed, then I think
> that's valuable to consider. Scheme seems fine enough to me as a language,
> but anything interpreted at run-time is too slow for certain reports in my
> opinion.

Just as a point of information, much of the slowness in the reports is
due to really really REALLY poor algorithm/implementation.  For example,
some reports were like O(n^3) in the number of transactions in your
datafile.  An O(n^3) algorithms will suck in ANY language.

Andrew Sackville-West and others have been working really hard to fix
these implementation issues, and indeed some of the reports are MUCH
faster now in SVN (and I think some of them might even be in 2.2.2).
So don't blame the language when it's really the report author that
sucks ;)