Gnucash access to internet when starting up

Richard Ullger rullger at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 30 16:47:22 EST 2007

I am using Gnucash v2.2.2 r16676 on Windows XP with all updates (apart
from IE7).

Does anyone know why Gnucash tries to access the internet when starting
up. I am just setting up my personal accounts from Quicken and have not
got round to setting up the updating of stock prices, so I can't see any
need for internet access.

If I deny Gnucash access to the internet it sometimes, but not always,
gives the following error:

'An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
gnucash. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'.

If I allow Gnucash to access the internet, it never gives an error.

The ip address Gnucash tries to access varies. Looking these up on a
whois server they include, OMG, Google, NTL (possibly related to my ISP
but not DNS servers).

I've tried searching the archives but have not been able to find any
postings relating to this subject.

Richard.