Gnucash access to internet when starting up

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Mon Dec 31 12:32:53 EST 2007

On 30 Dec 2007 at 21:47, Richard Ullger said:

> I am using Gnucash v2.2.2 r16676 on Windows XP with all updates (apart
> from IE7).

So am I.

> Does anyone know why Gnucash tries to access the internet when starting
> up. I am just setting up my personal accounts from Quicken and have not
> got round to setting up the updating of stock prices, so I can't see any
> need for internet access.

Mine doesn't, or at least not every time. I just started it up to check,
and then checked the firewall logs to be sure.

I see, though, that I have previously allowed access by gnucash-bin.exe
and gconfd-2.exe. AFAIK the latter is what manages the configuration data
for Gnucash. This would tally with your error message:

> If I deny Gnucash access to the internet it sometimes, but not always,
> gives the following error:
>
> 'An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
> gnucash. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.
>
> Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
> IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'.

I've now set my firewall to log all gnucash traffic. I'll report back
when I have some data.