Basic reporting: Subtotal by Description field?

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 1 14:58:03 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 12:47:51PM -0800, David T. wrote:
> Not that I'm an expert, but I haven't been able to find any way to do that
> either. So, I'm hoping someone will enlighten both of us. It may be that we
> have to set up separate sub-accounts for each payee.
>
> David
>
> --- Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Using a transaction report or another standard report, should I be
> > able to automatically subtotal transactions within an account using
> > their description? I ask because I see that reporting option in the
> > Transaction Report and I have tried all the variations I can think of,
> > but the report is not subtotaling by the descriptions.
> >
> > For example, I see last years' items in the charity account, and I
> > have the total for the year, but I would like it broken out and
> > subtotaled by each charity we contributed to.
> >
> > It looks like I will have to manually create sub-accounts for each
> > charity I want a separate subtotal for. Am I missing something easier?

this has frustrated me for a while too as it crops up a lot in my
business. I took a look at the code for that report and it is nowhere
near as intuitive as the other reports. Hacking it won't be easy as
the option setup is self updating... very confusing. Any devs wanna
point us in the right direction there?