XML data file question..

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:15:14 EST 2007

Is it possible to edit the XML file directly without hosing things up?

As an example of what I want to do:   the transaction descriptions I
get from the OFX data file from the bank are all chopped up, contain
junk information and generally look pretty nasty.  Back with I used
QIF, I had a perl script that would massage the file and do
searches/replaces to clean the data up before importing.  I've
converted the script to do the OFX files, but there's a lot of data in
GnuCash already that I'd like to clean up.

I can see places in the XML file where the transaction descriptions
are, but they live in multiple places (like  under trn:description
under the actual transaction itself and under act:slots in the
import-map section.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Ladner