insurance payments

Ariel asgnucash at dsgml.com
Wed Feb 7 16:46:28 EST 2007

Any advice on how I should treat insurance payments (I don't mean premium
payments, I mean if the insurance company pays the doctor).

I was thinking of recording them as a transfer between
Expenses:Health-Insurance to Expenses:Medical-Expenses

Is that a good idea? It sort of implies that my Insurance payments were
lower because I got a benefit from the insurance company, and conversely
my medical expenses were higher.

On the other hand on my tax return those medical expenses are not tax
deductible, but since insurance payments are lower, and also deductible, I
suppose it balance out.

I was thinking of creating a 'Insurance Benefits' account, but it's not
expenses or income, and I don't even know from what account I could
transfer to it (which makes sense, since it's not money that actually
passes through my hands).

Any advice?

 	-Ariel