2.0.4 crash

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 14:42:30 EST 2007

I am running gnucash 2.0.4 on an up-to-date Gentoo system. Today, I was
updating my financial records, which included the purchase of a municipal
bond in an investment account. First, I created the bond and associated
commodity under the brokerage asset account and then the income subaccount
for the interest from the bond. I then went back to the brokerage account,
which is where the cash lives, and attempted to enter a transaction paying
the accrued interest to the interest income account. I have had accrued
interest transactions before in this account, so I typed some part of
'accrued' and hit 'tab'. It completed the description and promptly crashed.
I then repeated the foregoing, saving after each step, and the crash
occurred again. I brought up gnucash yet again, and this time the steps
preliminary to entering the accrued interest transaction weren't necessary.
So I entered the accrued interest transaction exactly the same way and this
time I was able to proceed without any problem. So something about those
preliminary steps would seem to have planted a time-bomb in the internal
data-structures, seemingly without corrupting the saved data file (I did run
a check-and-repair and as near as I can tell by comparing the gunzipped
before-and-after files, it did a little fiddling with a transaction from
several years ago and that's all).

This warrants a bug report, though I'm not really sure how useful that would
be, since I can't help the developers reproduce it without providing  the
file with my complete financial history, which I'm obviously not willing to
do. I could try to reproduce this with a new set of fictitious accounts. But
I thought I'd post this here first, in case Derek or one of the other
developers has an idea what the problem might be, in which case I wouldn't
need to bother trying to reproduce it.

/Don Allen