Capital gain import - qif or ofx?

Jeff Carneal jeff-ml at soldmy.net
Sun Feb 11 21:11:46 EST 2007

Ok, so I have an account that provides me CSV format transactions
that in the past I converted to QIF for import.  I'm sure that will
still work with gnucash with one added wrinkle:  accounting for
realized capital gains.

I'd like to account for them as provided in example 8.7.1 here:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html

I can easily get the following parts of the transaction to work on
QIF import:

Assets:Bank                    3525
Assets:Stock:SYMBOL              3600
Expenses:Commissions   75

The part I am unable to get to import correctly is:

Assets:Stock:SYMBOL   1600    (shares=0, price=0)
Income:Capital Gains                  1600

No matter what I try, I cannot get a valid QIF file to import with
those two.  The best I've been able to do is the following:

Imbalance-USD:       1600
Income:Capital Gains             1600

It appears that the import cannot reconcile 0 shares for 0 dollars to
a total of $1600 so it throws it into the Imbalance account instead.

So my questions are:

1)  Can someone show me a .qif entry that will import as this example
is written?

2)  If not, is what I am going for possible with an OFX import and
can someone give me an example?

3)  Are there hooks such that I could learn scheme (ack!) and write
my own importer for exactly this?  Where do I begin?

Thanks,
Jeff