Qif import and memos

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:28:20 EST 2007

>> For the record, I just tested this, and the memo DOES appear in
>> the Split Memo.  So if you expand the transaction (by clicking on
>> the Split button) you'll see these memos.
>>
>> Arguably in a non-multi-split transaction this might want to go
>> into the transaction notes, too.

  Arguably?  I think the correct answer is "obviously".  I would never have
thought of treating a transaction, which is not a split transaction, as
though it were a split transaction, in order to see any attached explanatory
information.
   When entering data, I would certainly not create a fake split too add
such info.

   After reading the documentation I found the current behavior completely
non-obvious.  But the first thing to check is my eyeballs --- did I miss
a section that would have given me insight to the comment below?

>> On this same topic, is there currently a way to show the memo field
>> in the basic register view, perhaps next to the transfer account?

> The 'memo' is tied to the Split, so in a basic transaction (with two
> splits), which memo would you show in the regular view?

 I deduce from this that all transactions are a list of transfers, a split just
 means that the number of lines >1.  A note is attached to the transaction,
 and the memo to each transfer?

 An answer to the memo display question is to do the same
 thing as the category: show the word "split".

 	Terry Therneau