Qif import and memos

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 12 19:28:19 EST 2007

Quoting Terry Therneau <therneau at mayo.edu>:

>>  I dont think it's actually obvious, or it would have been done that
>> way in the first place.
> Ouch.

I just want to point out that I did not write the qif importer..
It was written by a developer who disappeared from gnucash about,
oh, five years ago.  But he was a pretty bright guy.

> Ok, let me try again.
>  1. Is it correct that the "note" field is tied to the transaction
> and the "memo" to the splits?

Yes.

>  2. For a simple transaction, for example I wrote a check to Ace
> Hardware for a trash can, there would normally be just a single bit
> of ancillary info, i.e. "trash can".  Is it assumed that the usual user
> will place this in the note field, or as a memo attached to one of the
> splits?

It can go into any of "description", "notes", or one of the split memos.

> 3. In Quicken (or at least my ancient version), a split transaction has
> ancillary info attached to each of the expense accounts, but not to the
> parent account part of the transaction.  On import, what, if anything,
> is set as the memo field for the parent account?  (Hopefully nothing,
> but I saw some odditied in a 1.8 import).

I think it would depend on the format of the QIF itself.  Probably
nothing.