Qif import and memos

Jeff Carneal jeff-ml at soldmy.net
Tue Feb 13 13:07:27 EST 2007

>> I'd show the one that belongs to the split pertaining to the
>> account  register being viewed.  In the transfer[ing|red] account
>> register I  would show the memo for its split.  This is in effect
>> what is done  now on the transfer account (for lack of a better
>> term) field in  basic view mode.
>
> Except you're not exactly correct here.

As is often the case.

> In the basic register view
> the "transfer acccount" is actually displaying the Account from
> the OTHER split.   For example, assume you have a transaction between
> Asset and Expense.  You'd have two splits, the Asset split and the
> Expense split.  When you view the Asset account you would see the
> Asset split, but the register is "smart" and in this case it shows
> you the OTHER Split's (aka "Far") Account in the transfer column,
> because you already know what the "near" account is:  the near account
> is the register account, Asset.

I under what you have written here 100%.  No surprise that you are,
in fact, correct.

> So I still don't have a good answer to "which Split Memo" do we show
> in a basic register.   There IS no good answer, which is why I think
> it's best to leave it out of the basic register and if you want
> to edit it you can expand the transaction and edit the Split Memos
> directly.

Ok, so what I don't understand is how this is the conclusion reached
based upon what you wrote in the first paragraph.

Wouldn't it follow to simply pull the "far" memo just as the "far"
account is displayed when in basic transaction mode?  If that's what
is done for the far account, how/why would the algorithm be
materially different for the memo field?  I'm not saying there is no
reason, I simply do not yet see it.

Far that matter, in the even that there really is not a good answer,
the best answer would be to give the user a choice under preferences
as to which one to display.  I'm not asking anyone to code it... I
can do that.  But if I'm going to go to the trouble, I'd like some
indication that it would be committed.

Jeff