Working on Having Gnucash Again Run

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 13 23:51:04 EST 2007

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Josh Sled wrote:
>
>> Any modern distro should install gnucash, and every dependency it requires
>> (and keep them upgraded), with a single command.
>
> Josh,
>
>    That would be wonderful! Gnucash is a great application when I can keep it
> running. I had even worse problems with Red Hat. The only 'competition,'
> Kmymoney2 is buggy, difficult to use, and one of the most ugly applications
> I've seen ... and I'm not fussy about eye-candy. I'd much rather an
> application work -- particularly without the need to move my hands from the
> keyboard.

Rich,

If I may but in, Fedora Core 6 and Gnucash 2.0.4 work together extremely
well. If you were to install FC6 I'm sure you would be more than
pleased. But then again, I may be biased, I've been a RedHat/Fedora
person all along and FC6 is the best yet  :-)

I have only ever had one problem getting Gnucash to run and that was
after my recent upgrade from FC4 to FC6. The problem eventually turned
out to be the fact that I built a binary .rpm from the 2.0.4 tarball
under FC4. After upgrading to FC6 Gnucash would no longer run because
one of the libraries I built it against in FC4 no longer existed
according to the rpm database. Deleting the old FC4 build of Gnucash and
rebuilding the .rpm binary under FC6 all was OK again.

What actually happened under the hood was that the FC6 distro contained
an older Gnucash version than the 2.0.4 on my system so the upgrade
tried to keep the 2.0.4 Gnucash and the old libraries to support it.
Didn't work in practice. I should have deleted the 2.0.4 Gnucash
*before* doing the FC4 <--> FC6 upgrade.

Anyway, under RedHat/Fedora I have *never* had a dependency problem.
Using yum upgrade gnucash takes all the hassle out of
installing/upgrading gnucash.

[Note to Derek: my yum problem was a faulty crash-hat.repo file from
http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat.repo (Peter Kristof)

Cheers,

>> g-wrap-1.9.7 will not work with gnucash.  g-wrap (both 1.9.6 and 1.9.7)
>> should be patched to look for glib-2.0.  slib has specific versions that
>> do and don't work with guile and with gnucash.  You can search the mailing
>> list archives (both -user and -devel) for details of all this.
>
>    Oh. OK. I'll re-install the g-wrap and slib from the distribution disks
> and see what gnucash tells me then.
>
> Thanks very much for your help,
>
> Rich

Kind regards,