Qif import and memos

Jeff Carneal jeff-ml at soldmy.net
Wed Feb 14 12:22:27 EST 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Jeff Carneal <jeff-ml at soldmy.net> writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it follow to simply pull the "far" memo just as the "far"
>> account is displayed when in basic transaction mode?  If that's what
>> is done for the far account, how/why would the algorithm be
>> materially different for the memo field?  I'm not saying there is no
>> reason, I simply do not yet see it.
>
> Not particularly, because except for the "transfer account",
> everything
> displayed is for the near split and/or transaction!

Right.  But how does this make what I'm proposing a Bad Thing?
Again, it's been done for a good reason on the far account.  It can
be done also for the memo field.  Those of us who are coming from
commercial accounting programs are rather used to seeing the memo in
single line registers, and I haven't yet seen a compelling reason why
this can't be the case for gnucash.

>> Far that matter, in the even that there really is not a good answer,
>> the best answer would be to give the user a choice under preferences
>> as to which one to display.  I'm not asking anyone to code it... I
>> can do that.  But if I'm going to go to the trouble, I'd like some
>> indication that it would be committed.
>
> Preferences are bad..

If you say so.

> Besides you can already get to this information by expanding the
> transaction!  Just do that.

This is akin to saying we can already enter transactions manually, so
why do we need aqbanking or importing?  It saves TIME to not have to:

a) manually split every transactions for which you want to see a memo
b) manually split every transactions for which you want to enter a memo
c) enter simple transactions with memos without having to press the
enter key 3-4 times per entry like one has to in auto-split or
transaction view

If you have a valid reason why the algorithm used for showing the far
account will not work for showing the memo in basic view, I'll gladly
listen to it and consider the rationale.  But in effect now you're
saying "get used to it", "there's no good answer" and the like which
is less than encouraging.

Or maybe I'm alone in wanting this feature... who knows.

Jeff