Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 16 12:50:21 EST 2007

Stephen Torri <storri at torri.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:54 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> > Even with GnuCash calculating the beginning balance for the period I
>> > find that I have a problem. When I took the bank statement and checked
>> > off what in the statement I found that I had a 341.55 difference saying
>> > I need more transactions sayings funds were taken out. When I did the
>> > reconciliation, before I did the sub-account reconciliation, the
>> > beginning balance was spot on with the bank. They only problem then was
>> > this transaction that was not capture in the previous month's
>> > reconciliation for some reason. Now GnuCash will not let me finish the
>> > reconcilation process until the difference between the Funds In and
>> > Funds Out is zero.
>>
>> A) Click on the "include subaccounts"
>
> The check box was already selected so I know it was including the
> subaccounts.
>
>> B) Click on the last-month transaction too!
>
> I went into the subaccount and did a reconciliation on it alone
> yesterday. Now that it is done last month's transaction does not appear.

Why did you reconcile the subaccount separately?  Do you have a printed
statement for the subaccount?

> I appreciate the suggestion but the negative unresolved balance in the
> reconciliation window is still there.

If the ending balance isn't balancing and all transactions are marked
as reconciled, then that means you're missing a transaction somewhere.
You'll have to go backwards in time and find your missing transaction.