Charles Schwab OFX support.

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 17 10:52:27 EST 2007

On 17 Feb 2007, at 9:26:17 AM, Ed Soniat wrote:

> Victor etal
>
> I am trying to set up the latest table gnucash so that  can use it to
> manage my schwab broker and bank accounts.  I have read your mailing
> list thread and it sound like you had the information necessary to
> access schwab but not the infrastructure.    It appears that OFX
> direct
> connect as well as import is now available but I can not for the
> life of
> me find the OFX information needed.
>
> I have downloaded the fi data with with getfidata.sh which uses
> moneycenteral.msn.com to down load an extensive list of financial
> institution OFX xml dat but the schwab brokerage entry has no FIS
> or ORG
> data.
>
> If anyone has this data or knows another place to get it please let me
> know.
> --
> Ed Soniat

It's probably the case that Schwab doesn't have an FID or ORG. I've
seen that with other brokerages. But the aqbanking wizard believes
they are required. So I would enter 5104 in the FID space (this is
schwab's FIPID, the lookup number in the fidata collection) and then
check the box for "Send Empty FID". You may also have to check the
box "Send Empty Bank ID" -- the brokerage certainly (?) doesn't have
a normal ABA number, so you shouldn't need this. Some financial
institutions don't check data fields that they don't need, and some
do -- rejecting a connection if data exists in the unnecessary fields.

That leaves what to do about the ORG field. Try 'Schwab.com' and hope
they don't check the field.

Also be sure to put "SCHWAB.COM" in the <BrokerID> field.
Capitalization matters.

Enter the server address from the fidata file too.

That should let you at least save the configuration so you can try a
connection.

Dave
--
David Reiser