Charles Schwab OFX support.

Arthur Dyck arthur at avefoodcoop.ca
Tue Feb 20 13:10:16 EST 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 09:36, Jeff Carneal wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> writes:
> >> It's probably the case that Schwab doesn't have an FID or ORG. I've
> >> seen that with other brokerages. But the aqbanking wizard believes
> >> they are required. So I would enter 5104 in the FID space (this is
> >> schwab's FIPID, the lookup number in the fidata collection) and then
> >> check the box for "Send Empty FID". You may also have to check the
> >> box "Send Empty Bank ID" -- the brokerage certainly (?) doesn't have
> >> a normal ABA number, so you shouldn't need this. Some financial
> >> institutions don't check data fields that they don't need, and some
> >> do -- rejecting a connection if data exists in the unnecessary
> >> fields.
> >>
> >> That leaves what to do about the ORG field. Try 'Schwab.com' and hope
> >> they don't check the field.
> >>
> >> Also be sure to put "SCHWAB.COM" in the <BrokerID> field.
> >> Capitalization matters.
> >>
> >> Enter the server address from the fidata file too.
> >>
> >> That should let you at least save the configuration so you can try a
> >> connection.
> >
> > I wonder if we should maintain a wiki page with OFX contact
> > information?
>
> Having just finally setup OFX downloading via aqbanking yesterday, I
> can attest that such a thing would be very helpful.
>
> The following page is a great start:
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct_Connect_Bank_Settings
>
> But to take it a step further, it should be a fairly simple matter to
> take the data from the files retrieved by getfidata.sh recommended
> there and make a HTML table complete with links to the appropriate
> FI's pertinent info.
>
> Jef

I also agree that such a page would be useful.  I have been trying to set up
OFX without much success.  I found the data in getfidata.sh confusing and
have no idea what is what.  A combination of different trials has been
unfruitful.  If I could get some clarification from someone, I could start
working on a table.

Arthur