Help for the guru-less

Lewis Overton akakie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 15:10:11 EST 2007

What I would LIKE to see is a list of dependencies that break version
whatever of the main program or, alternatively, those that seem OK. Seems
like a lot of work to extract that from somewhat loose reports of troubles,
especially when there are so many *nix distributions to consider. Wishful
thinking.

I suppose the way to test a new release is to download all the dependencies
and libraries into a completely separate test environment and try it out as
far from "reality" as possible. I wonder if that can be done safely on a
single machine.

Describing on the Wiki how to set up such a test bed would be a good process
for some clever person. I'd write it if I knew how to do it! :(  I'd help
with editing and testing if anyone wants to volunteer.

Seems like the core of the issue is 'if it ain't broke, don't break it.'
That's why gnucash IS still running. I HAVEN'T upgraded anything lately.
After the upgrade to 2.0.4, and with help from the chat-group, I found what
else to rebuild. But it is also why I would hesitate to recommend gnucash or
other FOSS to friends and neighbors. Many never upgrade anything and
compiling a program -- even with distributed make files -- would terrify
them. That includes the world-famous geophysicist next door, who only
recently got rid of Windows 95.

Thanks for answering.
Lewy