UK unit trust, mutual fund, editing FUND in price editor?

David Hampton gnucash at love2code.net
Mon Feb 26 09:15:05 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 11:48 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> I'm trying to account for a UK unit trust, which I think is equivalent
> to a "mutual fund" in US accounting and in GnuCash.  Right?
>
> So I created an account in the asset subtree of type Mutual Fund, and
> created a commodity of type FUND (which I think came up
> automatically).  I set up the initial Buy transaction smoothly against
> "Opening Balances" (I had this before I started using GnuCash and am
> now carrying out some retrospective improvements in my accounting).
>
> The unit value has now changed, and I think that in order to reflect
> this I need to add the current price in the Price Editor --- right?
>
> But when I open the Price Editor the type FUND and the commodity I
> created are not visible.  What am I doing wrong?

Absolutely nothing.  Items only appear in the price editor after prices
have been manually set or downloaded from the internet.  Entering a
price as part of a transaction does not create an entry in the price
database.  To add your new price, simply click on the "Add" button,
select your unit trust in the Security field, and enter the rest of the
quote data.

David