GunCash help request...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 26 12:51:36 EST 2007

Hi,

Please remember to CC gnucash-user on all your replies...

Quoting PattiMichelle <miche1 at earthlink.net>:

> Thank you for the reply, Derek - I see the dialog box you're referring
> to - it lists stock exchanges then has a blank fill-in.  I guess for a
> mutual fund, I would pick "fund" but don't know what to put in
> "security."  This is for a 403b (or 401k - I can never keep those two
> numbers straight) type account.  patti

This is all discussed in the documentation.. Have you read the Tutorial
and Concepts Guide?  In particular Chapter 8:

  http://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/guide/invest-setup1.html

It doesn't matter whether its a 403b or 401k, what matters is the
actual fund(s) in the portfolio.  You'll need a separate account for
each fund, and you'll need to configure the commodity for each fund.
The documentation is quite extensive.

-derek