New specification for Canadian cheques

Gilles Gariepy gariepy.g at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 27 08:38:22 EST 2007

Derek,

I have read through some of the documentation online and I spoke with my
cheque company (Davis& Henderson). My understanding is that for manual
cheques, the cheque provider is responsible for including the field
indicators. However for business cheques, which is the type of cheques used
by "electronic chequebooks" like Quicken and gnucash, it is the
responsibility of the software to put the field indicators below the
formatted date.

The actual spec are here: http://www.cdnpay.ca/rules/acss_standards_006.asp

You can download the pdf file (I didn't want to attach it). Pages 19 through
29 seem relevant to the overall process but pages 24 - 26 deal specifically
with the date fields.

I am happy to help out with this but I am afraid that I will not be of any
use when(if) it comes down to writing code.

Thanks
Gilles