Accounting for Shares on Australian Exchange.

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Wed Jan 10 02:03:07 EST 2007

I am running Gnucash 2.0.1 as supplied with Mandriva 2007.

My wife inherited some shares in 2002, and I am trying to record them under
Gnucash. All are listed on the Australian Stock Exchange with suffix .AX.

Following the tutorial, with a custom account hierarchy, I get the new account
setup screen. Taking the first security, I enter AWS as the Account name.
All fine so far.

I then go to the Security/Currency field.  I can have CURRENCY or nothing.  I
can't overwrite it with ASX, or anything.  Perhaps I have done something
wrong higher up, because it used to be NASDAQ, NYE or Template.  Since ASX
isn't an option, should I be using Template?  The Tutorial implies that it
can be any exchange I nominate.

The "Smallest Fraction" at the moment is fractions of the AUD.

There seems to be no problem configuring it for ASX prices, which are
available from Yahoo Quote.

Does it matter that the original purchase was more than one fiscal year ago?

With Australian shares, tax at the company rate is deducted from the dividend
and credited on account of the investor's tax liability.  I propose to treat
this tax in the same way as an employee's tax instalments, as a deduction
from the full dividend.

P.S. the READMEs say that if I add ASX as an option in the Scheme file, I need
to add it somewhere else.  Where?

Doug.
--
I grow old, always learning new things.