transfer of files between PCs

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jan 11 20:49:23 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:13:12PM -0800, David Brown wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>  > maybe you are saying this already, but why not just put the gnucash
>  > file on a network share that either machine can access? no need to
>  > copy back and forth or rsync anything. just one file in one location
>  > that all can access.
>
> I do this kind of transfer because one machine is at work, and behind an
> aggressive firewall, also the net connection at home isn't really fast
> enough for this.
>
> The other machine is a laptop, which is usually only used when it isn't
> connected to the net at all.

I've toyed with the idea of using a distributed revision control system,
like monotone, to do this.  In theory if you make changes on both
systems it should be able to merge them.  IN practice, I suspect it
might occasionally merge lines in such a way as to violate XML syntax.
(the gnucash files were XML the last time I looked).

Is there a DRCS that recognises XML syntax when merging?

-- hendrik