Credit Balance on new Expense Account

Ariel asgnucash at dsgml.com
Fri Jan 12 12:36:07 EST 2007

You have at least 3 options (in reverse order of complexity):

You can do it completely off the books, like this:

Start the telephone account with a 0 balance, but artificially add (in the
opening balance) the same (extra) dollars to your checking account.

Everything will balance then, but you'll have to put in "fake" payments
from checking to telephone as each bill comes in until the credit is
drained.

Don't forget to make adjustments when Reconciling your checking account.

Option 2:

Put a negative opening balance (dated 12/31/06) into your telephone
account, then set gnucash to show you data starting from the beginning of
the year.

Option 3:

Each time you "pay" a bill to your telephone account, transfer the funds
from Opening Balance, until the overpayment is drained, and you have to
start moving money from checking instead. (You'll probably have to do a
split transaction during the month the account switches from over to
under.)

I'd go with #3.

 	-Ariel