Trouble setting up Finance::Quote

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Tue Jan 16 16:13:26 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 21:46 +0300, Cory Helfrich wrote:

> I started gnucash and opened the fund in the Security Editor. The
> fund screen still indicates that Finance::Quote is not installed
> properly.
>
> Any advice regarding how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Install the perl Crypt:SSLeay module.  Its the perl-Crypt-SSLeay rpm on
Fedora systems.  Don't know what its called elsewhere.

> Finance::Quote appeared to install correctly. Here is the
> screen dump of the gnc-fq-dump:
>
> Begin Screen dump:
> 09:38 PM ~ $ gnc-fq-dump canada F:AIS509
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>      symbol: F:AIS509             <=== required
>        date: ** missing **        <=== required
>    currency: ** missing **        <=== required
>        last: 0.00                 <=\
>         nav:                      <=== one of these
>       price:                      <=/
>    timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> ** This stock quote cannot be used by gnucash!!

Getting F::Q installed is only half of the problem.  You need to find a
quote source that provides information for your particular fund, and the
symbol that it uses for the fund.  There are currently sources for
canadian funds from www.fundlibrary.com and www.stockhouse.ca.

David