4. Cash Handling?

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Tue Jan 16 16:38:25 EST 2007

Tad:

I keep track of all cash transactions using the assorted expense subcategories,
including a few that I've added.

For me, the key is: coins don't count.  If something costs $1.45 and I use two
dollar bills, I put it in as $2.00.  If it costs $1.45 and I use a dollar bill
and spare change, it counts as $1.00.

It's true that this results in error.  However, the error is really small as a
percentage of total expenditure, and it makes it much easier to remember the
gnu-value of the transaction, since I don't have to remember the cents.  Also,
it makes it easier to rectify my wallet, since if I'm off its by a whole dollar
amount, which I find makes it easier to recall what transaction(s) I've
forgotten to log.

 - stomv