Function to override Quick-Fill ?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:59:09 EST 2007

I've been using gnucash off and on for awhile, but starting this
calendar year I'm seriously moving all my ongoing bookkeeping to it.
(I've been using Quicken since 1994, and I swore I would not suffer
yet another EOL-forced upgrade.)

One thing that has been slowing me down is that I cannot find a
function to override the Quick-Fill feature. I believe in Mac Quicken
it is command-tab.

Here's the scenario: I sometimes buy stuff at a "SuperCenter," where
they have groceries in addition to hardware, appliances, clothing,
gasoline, etc. So each time I buy stuff there I usually enter a split
transaction with different accounts (aka Quicken categories --
groceries... home repair...clothing...entertainment; whatever). In
Quicken I would start typing "Wal" and the previous split transaction
gets filled in, but before I leave the name field I command-tab to the
amount field, and a new empty un-split transaction gets created, and I
can easily create a new set of splits as needed without having to
delete the old splits and mess with the totals.

I have not found a Quick-Split override keystroke in the documentation
nor in a web search, though I could easily have missed it.

I can imagine a couple of ways I can work around this, but I first
wanted to ask on the users list in case I'm missing a simple
keystroke.