about check number heuristics

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 23 09:25:01 EST 2007

"Ethy H. Brito" <ethy.brito at inexo.com.br> writes:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:21:30 -0500
> Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca> wrote:
>
>> > As an example, my bank writes (OFX file) the check numbers as "000123" and
>> > GC uses "123". How to overcome this?
>>
>> There is not much to do on the OFX side, the check number is defined as 16
>> ascii characters, so 000123 is perfectly valid, and different from 123.  So
>> the only advice I can give your is to enter 000123 in Gnucash as well.
>
> I already did that. However there is a little problem: GC autoincrement
> does not respect that and suggests "124" as the next check number instead
> of "000124" which in turn break the importation again.
>
> Maybe it is a bug, isn't it?

Nope.  The autoincrement feature treats the check# as a number, not
a string.  So I dont see the bug in the autoincrement.  Imagine, what
should the autoincrement do if you have:   A1200?   What abnout 000A172?
And how is this different than what you're asking for?

now, perhaps the importer could try to be more intelligent and attempt
both a "string compare" and "numeric compare" against the two entries
and accept it if either way matches.