Virtual accounts?

Ron Morse rbmorse at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 17:42:32 EST 2007

Would split transactions do what you want?  Create your virtual
accounts as subs under your checking or savings account.  Money
moving into or out of the real account would, under GnuCash, get
split to the various subs as desired. The sum of the splits should
reflect the single transaction the bank sees.

When you buy a car or computer or whatever you do another split where
the source of the funds is a credit transaction from the subs
supplemented from the main account as required.  Again, the total of
the splits will equal the single transaction (i.e., the check you
wrote or the withdrawal you made) that the bank sees.

I don't do this myself, but it ought to work.

Ron Morse