Virtual accounts?

David Brown gnucash at davidb.org
Tue Jan 23 19:00:24 EST 2007

Maf. King wrote:

> As Dave pointed out, the balance of the parent account register
doesn't match
> the bank's idea of how much money I have, however, the account tree
window
> does show that total balance of (A:S + A:S:pot1 + A:S:pot2)

Only if you don't have any future transactions entered into any of the
accounts.  I regularly have 3-12 months worth of speculative transactions
entered, especially into the savings accounts, and I couldn't figure out a
way to even get today's balance out of it.

I think what I'm doing differently than most people is entering the
speculative transactions.  As the time approaches, I tune them more
accuratly, but it is more useful to me to get an idea of what is happening
to my money than bugets.  The problem is that the bugets aren't really
associated with the register.  If I know I have to pay insurance in
November, I enter it in.  Even if the amount has to be adjusted, at least
the bill won't be unexpected.

Dave